Recipes: Breakfast Stromboli
We really enjoyed this for breakfast on Sunday. My mom was about to leave for the Mayo Clinic and we wanted to make sure she was full before she left. This is a great breakfast to have on the weekend especially if you are going to busy during the day.
- 10 strips Bacon
- 1 12-ounce package pork breakfast sausage
- 2 1/2 cups potato tots, frozen
- 5 eggs, large
- 1 all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2lbs pizza dough, store-bought
- 2 cups American cheese, grated
- 2 cups Cheddar, grated white
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and spread the potato tots on the sheet. Bake until golden brown and crisp, about 25 minutes. Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack and let cool. Lower the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Meanwhile, heat the sausage in a large nonskillet over medium heat and cook, stirring to break p the sausage, until browned and no longer pink, about 8 minutes. Transfer the sausage to paper towels with slotted spoon to drain; discard any remaining fat. Let the sausage cool, then crumble into 1/2 inch pieces.
3. Heat the bacon in the skillet over medium heat and cook, flipping once, until browned, about 8 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain; discard any remaining fat. Let the bacon cool, then crumble into 1/2-inch pieces.
4. Scramble and cool the eggs and set aside.
5. Toss the American Cheese and Cheddar together in a small bowl and mix until evenly combined.
6. Roll the dough into a 20-by-14-inch rectangle on a lightly floured work surface. Starting from the shorter end, spread the cheese mixture evenly over half of her dough, leaving a 1-inch border on the sides. Scatter the sausage, bacon, potatoes tots, and scramble eggs evenly over the cheese.
7. Working from the short side, tightly roll the dough up, jelly roll-style, into a log. Pinch the open seams together to seal, then tuck them underneath the log.
8. Beat a few eggs.
9. Transfer the log to the prepared baking sheet and brush with the egg wash. Bake until the bread is golden brown all over, about 40 minutes.
10. Let the bread cool for 10 minutes. Halve the bread lengthwise, cut each half crosswise into 4 equal pieces and serve warm with ketchup or hot sauce.